Toenail fungus is ugly and no fun. When you hear the words toenail fungus what is the first thing that pops into your mind? Not a pretty picture isn’t it? Not only is toenail fungus ugly as sin, it actually can be dangerous if left untreated.
The best methods of killing fungus are used natural ingredients. By natural ingredients, we are talking about things such as essential oils and vinegar; things that Mother Nature designed not man-made chemicals that fill our bodies with toxic ingredients.
Toenail fungus is ugly and no fun for anyone who has it. Even if you want to hide those black thickened twisted toenails under socks and shoes all your life but you could do let’s be honest who wants to deal with the pain?
Ways you could have contracted toenail fungus
There are several ways that you could have contracted this gross toenail fungus:
- Abnormal pH of the skin
- Wearing synthetic socks that don’t breathe
- Sweat build-up inside shoes
- Poor shoe quality such those made of plastic
- Poor foot hygiene
- Weak circulation
- Continuous exposure to moisture and
- A compromised immune system
Let’s discuss home remedies that work to get rid of your toenail fungus fast:
1. Lemon Juice Yep
Something as simple as lemon juice can work like a charm. The juice from lemon peppers antiseptic and antifungal properties. The citric acid stops the fungus from spreading too.
- Simply squeeze some lemon juice over the nail and allow it to sit for about 30 minutes
- Be sure you give some of the juice under the nail
- After 30 minutes simply rinse off the juice
This will take some time but doing this everyday will kill off the fungus. You should start to see a noticeable difference in about 4 to 6 weeks but don’t stop until there is absolutely no more evidence of
Many people claim Listerine is the best brand to use but most likely any brand that contains alcohol will do the trick. If mouthwash can kill bacteria and germs in the mouth it should do a good job
with toenail fungus as well.
- Fill a small bowl with the mouthwash and soak for 30 minutes.
- Scrub the toenails to be sure it gets under the nail.
- Fill a small bowl with a 50/50 mixture of mouthwash and white vinegar
- Follow the same steps as above
3. Garlic Oil
Garlic is known to contain antifungal properties that can kill toenail fungus.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of garlic oil with 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- Put on the infected toe each night before bed and wear some socks to prevent it from getting on your bedding
- Rinse your feet each morning
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the oldest and best home remedies for toenail fungus.
- Some people say that you can simply pour it directly on the toenail and allow to dry. Others say that you should mix 1-part apple cider vinegar with 1-part Epsom salt and 6-parts of hot water.
- When the water is warm but not hot, soak your feet for 30 minutes
5. Coconut Oil
One of the ingredients in coconut oils – caprylic acid has the ability to penetrate the cell wall of fungi. Without its protective coating the fungus dies.
- Apply a thin layer of coconut oil to the infected nail
- Allow it to soak in for 15 to 30 minutes
- Do this at least once per day but twice per day will work much faster
- Find out other uses of coconut oil
6. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is another essential oil that has antifungal properties that make it perfect for mild cases of toenail fungus.
- Apply two or three drops of lavender essential oil to the infected nail each night and cover your feet with some socks.
- Wear only cotton or wool socks so your feet can breathe.
7. Oregano Oil
This is another herb that is loaded with antifungal properties. Mix two or three drops of oregano oil into a carrier oil such as olive oil or sweet almond oil and rub it into the infected nail.
- You can leave it on or rinse it off after 30 minutes
- Do this twice per day
8. White Vinegar
This is one of the oldest home remedies around. White vinegar will not only kill the fungus but it will restore the natural pH of your skin.
- In a pot or a bowl large enough to place your toes in, mix 1-part white vinegar with 2-parts warm water.
- Soak your nails in this solution for 15 minutes
- Rinse and draw your feet well
- Do this at least once per day but twice per day would be better. Repeat daily until the fungus is completely gone.
9. Baking Soda and Borax
Fungus needs an acidic environment in order to live so using alkaline baking soda will stop the fungus from spreading. Borax is a natural mineral that is a powerful fungicide. The combination of these two minerals will create a remedy that kills toenail fungus quickly.
- Mix equal parts of baking soda and borax with just enough water to make a paste
- Wet your toes and rub this paste into the affected toenails
- Do this twice per day
This method is known to work super fast.
10. Orange Oil
Orange oil is a natural antifungal that works wonders when it comes to killing toenail fungus.
- Use a dropper and apply 2 or 3 drops of orange essential oil to the infected nails
- Be sure to rope them in between the toes and into the surrounding tissues so that the fungus doesn’t move from one toe to another.
Note: For some people with sensitive skin using orange oil undiluted irritates their skin. If this happens to you dilute it with a one-to-one ratio of a carrier oil such as almond oil or olive oil.
11. Olive Leaf Extract
This is a terrific option for killing toenail fungus. This option works from the inside out.
Take olive leaf extract as a supplement it has powerful antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral compounds, so it can not only kill that fungus but it might help stop you from catching a cold or flu this winter.
Olive leaf is also a strong body detoxifier so if you are not used to consuming it you might find you feel some discomfort for a few days while your body becomes accustomed to it and removes toxins. If you feel too uncomfortable, lower your dosage for a few days until you start to feel more normal.